The Kilmory Cross was erected around 1500 for Alexander MacMillan,
son of Lachlan Og, MacMillan Chief, at Kilmory chapel, South Kintyre.
--from the book MacMillan by Mary Beaton.
This is one of the finest stone crosses in Scotland, said to be
inferior only to St Martin's Cross in Iona. It is about twelve feet
high and is composed of solid chlorite slate. On the right of the
cross is the Virgin Mary with a halo around her. Her head is slightly
averted, as if turning away her face in sorrow from the dreadful
sight before her, and her hand is placed upon her heart, which this
sword of grief, according to the prophecy, has pierced.
On the other side of the cross is John, the beloved disciple, with
his right hand holding to his heart a copy of his gospel. Below the
crucifixion, there is a long two-handed sword finely carved. On the
other side of the cross there is an elaborate pattern of interlaced
work at the top, filling all the rounded disk.
Below, on the shaft,is carved a representation of a Highland chief
hunting the deer, which is remarkable as the earliest specimen of
the Highland dress in existence. Beneath the huntsman there is an
inscription in ancient Saxon characters,
"Haec est crux Alexandri MacMulen"
which can be easily deciphered as
(This is the cross of Alexander MacMillan)
--taken from The MacMillan's and Their Septs
by Somerled MacMillan, and quoted from Dr. Hugh Macmillan.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids