Charles William Asher & Artemecie Frances Barnett
FATHER: Charles William ASHER (1,2)
BORN: Apr 1856, Garrard, Kentucky, USA (5)
DIED: between 1910/1930
MARRIED: 14 Dec 1876, Dudley H. Barnett residence, Bryantsville, Garrard, Kentucky, USA (1,2)
IGI - B: unknown E: unknown SP:unknown SS: 18 Apr 1987 ARIZO
PARENTS: unknown / unknown
MOTHER: Artemecie Frances BARNETT (1)
BORN: 05 Aug 1857 (1), Jessamine, Kentucky, USA (5,7)
DIED: 09 Oct 1937 (6), probably California, USA (10)
BURIED: probably California (10)
IGI - B: 29 Sep 1998 SLOUI E: 30 Aug 2000 LOUIS SP: 27 Jul 2001 LOUIS
PARENTS: Dudley Harrison BARNETT / Frances R. CAMERON
1) dau: Susan Aner?? ASHER (1)
BORN: 29 Aug 1878 (1)
DIED: after 1910
2) son: James Conn ASHER (9,11,12)
BORN: 17 May 1888, Kentucky, USA (11,12)
DIED: 14 Mar 1973, San Clemente or Vista DelMar (SSDI), Orange, California, USA (11,12)
MARRIED: Ruth JACKSON (nee ?), about 1921
3) son: Edgar O. ASHER (9)
BORN: Jan 1890, Kentucky, USA (9)
DIED: after 1910
4) dau: Christine N. ASHER (9)
BORN: Jun 1896, Kentucky, USA (9)
DIED: after 1910
Artemecie Frances Barnett was the eleventh child born to Dudley Harrison
and Frances R. Cameron Barnett. She was born 05 Aug 1857 (1) in Jessamine County, Kentucky (5, 7).
Her family moved to Mercer County shortly after her birth and her birth was registered in Mercer
County. (7) She witnessed a lot of grief and change in her young life. By the time she was 6 years
old, she had a younger brother born and died, her mother had died, she was being raised by a new
stepmother and she had to share her status as baby of the house with her new stepbrother, Jacob
Sadler, who was the same age as young Artemecie. Before age 12 came a move to Garrard County, where
the family appears in the 1870 census in Bryantsville (4).
Eighteen-year-old Artemecie (Mesis, Meecie) Barnett married twenty-year-old Charles William Asher in her father's Bryantsville home on 14 Dec 1876. (5) From her father's Bible, we know she bore a daughter, Susan A???, on 29 Aug 1878. (1) The family has not yet been found in the 1880 census. In 1900, the family is living in the Glades district of Madison County, Kentucky. Susan does not appear with the family and is assumed to be married or living with others. Three children are listed with the family: James C., age 12, Edga O., age 10 and Cristeen N., age 3. Artemecie states in this census she has borne 4 children and all are living. William is age 44 and farming, as is young Edgar. We have reference to this family in Madison County (066, 0075,0133) in the 1910 census with the following listing: William Asher, 54; Mecie F., wife, 52; Christine, daughter, 13; Conn J., son, 21; Edgar, son, 21; all born KY. I have not been able to locate the actual census page on which they are said to be enumerated, nor have they been located in the 1910 Miracode index or the 1920 census for Kentucky.
Artemecie is living with her son, James Conn Asher, in the 1930 census at 656 Nautilus Street, SanDiego, California. (10)
From the Bible of Alice Barnett Daniel, we know Artemecie died 09 Oct 1937, we assume in California. (6) There are no entries for either William or Artemecie in the Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000.
1. Family data, Dudley H. Barnett Family Bible, title unknown (Philadelphia: C. Alexander & Co., 1834),
p. 3; original owned by Robert & Nancy Barnett,
Ironton, Ohio, 2003. This bible was passed from the widow of John Dudley Barnett to Robert & Nancy Barnett in 1978. Original pages scanned in
2001 by Sheryl Neal Slaughter. "Citty Jane or Lane Sageser was born March 1th -- 1843, deseced July 6th 1844; William Daniel Barnett was born March
30th 1840; Nancy Jane Barnett was born June 26th 1841; James Harris Barnett was born Feb 26th 1843; Jesse Barnet was born Sept 18th 1844; Robert BWesley [sic] was born May 8th 1846; Mary E. Barnett was born March 28th
1848; John Thomas Barnett was born May 9th 1850, deceased August 8th 1851; Edward Robards Barnett was born Oct 2th 1851; sarah thomas Barnett was borned aug th 15 1853; gorge rily B was borned nov the 13 1855; Armeecy
frances Barnett was born August the 5 1857; Henry Harrison Barnett was born August 1860 deceased September 18--[page torn]; [the following is in pale purple ink and very hard to read] [unreadable line] of John &
Emily Hardwick was borned in [unreadable line]; Charles Asher and Armeecy F. Barnett married at the residence of Dudley H. Barnett December the 14, 187?' Susan Aner? Asher Daughter of Charles W. and Armeecy F. Asher was borned August 29, 1878; [back to black ink] locust year 1855".
2. Family data, Marybelle Barnett, written for Nancy Barnett, Ironton, OH, 1978. Copy sent 2001 to Sheryl Neal Slaughter. "Dudley Barnett. Father of George Riley Barnett. Dudley Harrison Barnett, 1st wife Fanny Cameron, These are his children. William Daniel Barnett married Sue Silcox, Nannie Barnett married James Gibson-both live and died in Harrodsburg, Ky and buried here (had no childerns), Mary Elizabeth Barnett married Abe Hardwick, Jessie Barnett married Emily Hardwick, Robert Barnett married Margaret Wiley, Edward Barnett married Sallie Wiley, James Barnett married Maggie Johnson, Artiemecie Barnett married William Asher, and two died quiet young name Charlie and Johnny Barnett, These are Dudley first wife children. [line drawn across page] Second wife was Miss Milanda Hale and she had two children names Lucy Barnett married Dan Kurtz, Eliza Barnett unmarried and died in Harrodsburg Ky too. Third wife was miss Caroline Ford and had no childerns. [note: there is an arrow going up from Milanda Hale to young child Charlie who died young]. [Note on page:] The above copied for Nancy Barnett in 1978 by Marybelle Barnett, 2nd wife of John D. Barnett at Burgin, Ky. From Barnett Bible, Burgin, Ky (Harrodsburg)."
3. Dudley Barnett household, 1860 U.S. census, Mercer County, Kentucky, population schedule, p. 610, Ancestry.com. "Harrodsburg, dwelling 473, family 473: Dudley Barnett, 43, farmer, real estate value $2,200.00, personal property value $833.00, born VA (the rest of the family is all born in KY); Frances, 38; William D., 20; Nancy J., 19; James, 17; Jessey (male), 16; Robert, 14; Mary E., 12; Edward, 9; Sarah T., 6; George R., 5; Artemcia, 2 (female). Jessey, Robert, Mary, Edward and Sarah attended school within the year."
4. Dudley Barnett household, 1870 U.S. census, Garrard County, Kentucky, population schedule, Bryantsville, p. 459, Ancestry.com. "Dwelling 129, family 129: Dudley Barnett, 54, farmer, real estate value $1,600.00, personal property value $400.00, born in VA, cannot read or write; Malinda Barnett, 46, keeping house, born KY, cannot read or write; Edward Barnett, 18, m, farm labor, born KY; Sarah Barnett, 15, f, at home, born KY, attended school within the year; George Barnett, 14, m, laborer, born KY, cannot read or write; Mesis Barnett, f, 12, at home, born KY, attended school within the year, cannot read or write; Jacob Sadler, m, 12, at home, born KY, attended school within the year, cannot read or write; Eliza Barnett, 7, f, born KY; Lucy Barnett, 4, f, born KY."
5. Garrard County Marriage Book 12, 265-66, county clerk's office, Lancaster, Kentucky. [p. 265: William Asher and Saml Newton bound 11 Dec 1876 for upcoming marriage of William Asher and Armesie F. Barnett. p. 266: MALE: date of marriage: 14th Dec 1876 Thursday; name of groom: William Asher; residence of groom: Garrard Co., Ky; age of groom 20; number of marriage of groom: 1st; occupation: farming; birthplace of groom: Garrard Co., Ky; birthplace of groom's father: Mercer Co., Ky; birthplace of groom's mother: Garrard Co., Ky. FEMALE: name of bride: Armesie F. Barnett; residence of bride: Garrard Co., Ky; age of bride: 18; number of marriage of bride: 1st; birthplace of bride: Jessamine Co., Ky; birthplace of bride's father: Va; birthplace of bride' mother: blank. To be married at Dudly Barnett's, 14 Dec 1876. Witness 11 Dec 1876, William Asher.] Permissive. "this is to certify that I authorise the county clerk of Garrard County to isue license for William Asher to marry my daughter Armesie F. Barnett. Dudley Barnett. Attest: son James H. Barnett."
6. Family data, Alice Barnett Daniel Family Bible, p. 19. "Artimecie or Artimecis Barnett Asher died 9 Oct 1937."
7. Artemecie F. Barnett birth record, Kentucky Vital Statistics, micropublication, Kentucky History Center, Frankfort, Kentucky, Oct 1999. "Artenicia S. Barnett, female, birth registered in Mercer Co., born 1 Aug 1857, Jefferson (or Jessamine) Co., KY, parents: Dudley Barnett and Francis R. ---, Residence: Mercer Co."
8. 1880 U.S. census. Charles William Asher family not found.
9. William Asher household, 1900 U.S. census, Madison County, Kentucky, population schedule. "ED 51, SD 8, SH 12 B. Glade Pct. No. 6 Part of, enumerated 16 Jun 1900 by Malcolm M. Miller, Dwelling 232, Family 235. Asher, William, head, white, male, born Apr 1856, age 44, married 23 years, born Kentucky, father born Kentucky, mother born Kentucky, farmer, 0 months unemployed, can read, write and speak English, owns a farm, free of mortgage, farm schedule 119; --- Amacy F., wife, white, female, born Aug 1857, age 42, married 23 years, 4 children born, 4 living, born Kentucky, father born Kentucky, mother born Kentucky, can read, write and speak English; --- James C., son, w, m, born May 1888, age 12, single, born Kentucky, parents born Kentucky, farm laborer, attended school 5 months during the year, can read, write and speak English; ---- Edga O., son, w, m, born Jan 1890, age 10, single, born Kentucky, parents born Kentucky, attended school 5 months during the year, can read, write and speak English; --- Cristeen N., daughter, w, f, born June 1896, age 3, born Kentucky, parents born Kentucky."
10. James C. Asher household, 1930 U.S. census, SanDiego, SanDiego County, California, population schedule. "ED 37-48, SD 21, SH 7B, enumerated 10 Apr 1930. 656 Nautilus Street, Dwelling 193, Family 193. Asher, James C., head, owns a home valued at $9,000, has a Radio, home is not a farm, male, white, age 41, married, age at first marriage: 32, did not attend school or college since Sept. 1, 1929, is able to read and write, he and both parents born Kentucky, State code: 80, able to speak English, occupation: carpenter, industry: houses, code: 06X1, worker, actually at work, veteran of the military mobilized for any war: yes, war: ww; ---- Ruth E., wife, female, white, age 43, married, age at first marriage: 24, did not attend school or college since Sept. 1, 1929, is able to read and write, she and parents born New York, state code: 56, able to speak English, occupation: none; Jackson, Robert, stepson, male, white, age 19, single, did not attend school or college since Sept. 1, 1929, is able to read and write, born California, father born Illinois, mother born New York, state code: 95, able to speak English, occupation: electrician, industry: Electric Co., code: 1V63, worker, actually at work: yes; Asher, James, son, male, white, age 5, single, did not attende school since Sept. 1, 1929, born California, father born Kentucky, mother born New York, state code: 98, is able to speak English, no occupation; ----- Mecie, mother, f, w, age 72, widow, did not attend school since Sept. 1, 1929, is able to read and write, she and parents born Kentucky, state code: 80, speaks English, no occupation."
11. California Online Death Index, 1940-1997. "James C. Asher, born 17 May 1888, Kentucky, died 14 Mar 1973, Orange Co., CA."
12. Social Security Death Index online. "James C. Asher, born 17 May 1888, Kentucky, died Mar 1973, card issued in California, died in San Clemente or Vista Del Mar." [SSN withheld. sns]
13. William Asher household, 1910 U.S. census, Madison County, Kentucky, population schedule. "ED 75, SH 10B.
Death certificate for Artemecie Frances Barnett Asher, California
-- This is a collaborative work. Please contribute! Full credits will be cited
for anything you submit. --
© 2003 SHERYL NEAL SLAUGHTER